Spring Barn Sale '15

Ready, Set, Go! Even if to just Flop!
First Postcard for Barn Sale 
March 2015
Starting becca Anne Barn Sale was not a decision to take lightly. Doing another big event allowed me to understand just how much work goes into an event. Yet I had the advantage of stepping into that event that had been established for 9 years. As the main organizer likes to say "It's a well-oiled machine!" Because of how well the event had already been going, it allowed me a learning curve and some mess ups and it still flowed incredibly well. With this, it would be starting from scratch, no "well-oiled machine" to be had. 
"You should do this!" Peggy Sapp, owner of Crafty Mom and bestie
The mere simple statement of "you should do this" from bestie Peggy Sapp of Crafty Mom, came while she was looking at our newly purchased house that had a barn on it. She was no stranger to the barn sale scene and felt my quaint barn could be just the right place to host a sale. The what if's, I don't know about this, and stepping out of my comfort zone quickly took over and lasted for about a year until I had that courage to just GO for it. It would either go or flop... Right? That is easier to say than feel. The emotions and fear of letting others down, knowing you put your best effort in, can cause many not to even start a dream or a new adventure. 


I felt The Lord had prepared me for this and I had been building my gift of organization for years starting with being a nursery organizer and then growing enough to help organize The Happening. (My heart). It's amazing when you realize what "I know the plans I have for you." can truly mean. Though all is never perfect; it's growing, I'm growing and still dreaming... bigger... better!


With my heart settled on a let's go for this, it was time to think of a name for the event. I thought about Cloverdale Farm and Yert Fest. (Ask someone in Sparta!) However, none of those felt just right. Finally, becca Anne was settled upon. becca - Rebbecca, my mom and Anne - Annie, my mother in law. I love how simple the names are, yet unique when they are together. Kind of like these two who are completely unique and yet both are very needed and loved. They are fantastic grandmothers. After a name was settled; dates, prices, email account, logo design, social media, seeking out of vendors, publicizing, contracts, booth sizes/placement, and much more was to be had. After months and months of planning, you then wonder if anyone will even show up! That had to be the biggest hurdle to get over and another big ole' fear for a first sale!                                 

                     
The day you planned for months finally arrives. Vendors were arriving, unloading, and making all look beautiful. The attention to detail, unique products, and sweet vendors made it all worth it. The other major fear factor in planning has to be the weather! All had looked good for the forecast right up until a week or so before. What do you do when you have been advertising for months, Monday is 70 and by Friday is going to be a cold, cold day (the 40s)? You still have it! Friday we experienced rain, sleet, snow; all in about 3 hours. Tennessee weather, need I say more?


We absolutely froze and was happy it was only 3 hours. I guess that's the chance you take having an outside event in any month here in Tennessee. I could not believe people still came out that night buying and looking! Saturday was much better but still nippy. However, the people did not disappoint! Even with the cold weather, many people still came. Though the weather held much more from coming, it still went great... especially for a debut barn sale. Sunday was an absolute turn around and was a much, much warmer day. The vendors had a great attitude and many memories of the crazy weather were made. Thou some changes need to be made, it was nothing that was simply too big to handle or a big FLOP! Sometimes taking a leap of faith does pay off. Don't let all the fears and "what if's" cancel out anything that could be within your reach. Do survey the cost involved and research what you can, but just Go for It and see how it goes. Several expressed interest in returning and ready for another. I'm hoping the weather will agree with the barn sale next time. I look forward to seeing returning vendors and even new ones. Thank you to all those who placed your trust in this debut sale. Without you, nothing would be possible. You all did a fantastic job and much hard work was put in. 

Would you like to see more photos of 
becca Anne's 1st Barn Sale?
Click on the picture to see more.

Join us for our 2nd Barn Sale,
September 25 -  27, 2015!

Shutting the gate for now,

No comments:

Post a Comment